Monday, March 2, 2009

The First Cause


Come across an article written and spoken by a famous/infamous philosopher. He was "expressing" himself in front of a crowd on why he believed there is no God/Creator. It was an interesting and stimulating(both are subjective) read - well as least for me.

Before I continue, I would like to make this clear again(even though I have said it many times) - My views do not mean they have to be yours, and by no mean, I represent any organization. Acknowledge does not mean agreeing to it. This is essential as I'm going into a extremely sensitive realm.

[I found this sentence: 'My father taught me that the question "Who made me?" cannot be answered since it immediately suggests the further question, "Who made God?" ' That very simple sentence showed me, as I think, the fallacy in the argument of the First Cause.]

It is true that 'Who made God' is by no mean is a facile question to tackle. In fact, I would rate this question as "mission impossible"(at least during the time on Earth). But that does not mean that this make it one of the final verdict that there is no Creator.

God may be created by another subject and may be govern by another set of rules and regulations(or it may not be such). And the subject may in turn be created by another subject and so on. But this not prove the non-existence of a Creator(of the Earth).

The terms "Creator" and "God" in my opinion represent our belief and they may(can) be a source of conflict(or unity) when used albeit too loosely(or narrowly).

Let take an example, "Our God is the Creator of the Universe". "Our God" is very debatable(and may even ignite/incur/bring-about extreme hostility), otherwise there will be a convergence view. Note: this convergence level is 2nd level from the top(First-> God vs No God. Second-> Which God?).

"Creator of the Universe", at least for me, represent the fundamental crack at the top level. Quite a number of people(very vague and non-statistical term) do not believe in natural design/creator. One interesting thing I would like to point out is that believing in a Creator of the Universe does not necessary mean that the Creator/God is not created by another superlative subject -- because the "universe" is very much define by our definition/imagination/yard-stick and "things" that are outside this realm of thought(or universe) may very well exist and are beyond our comprehension.

Yes, "they" may exist, but well, you may not agree. :)

No comments: